How Do You Transfer a Vehicle Title in Alabama?
Car titles are vital. After all, they're the legal document that proves ownership of the vehicle. Without it, there's zero evidence you truly own it. With that in mind, it's crucial to transfer your title when you buy, sell, inherit, or gift a car. Thankfully, the steps are simple.
In this article, we'll discuss how to transfer a vehicle title in Alabama and the reasons for doing so.
Why Do You Need To Transfer Vehicle Titles?
Whenever you decide to transfer ownership of a car, you must sign the title over to the brand-new owner (and vice versa).
Not only is it important for the DMV, but you won't be able to access vehicle-based borrowing opportunities without it. For instance, we only allow those with a lien-free vehicle title in their name to get a title pawn (between $300 and $15,000, based on the car's value) for emergencies.
How To Transfer A Vehicle Title In Alabama
Whether you're buying a car, selling your vehicle, or gifting an automobile to somebody, follow the three simple steps below to transfer its title:
1. Sign It Over To The Next Owner
The car's current owner must physically sign the title over to the new owner. For instance, if you're buying a new vehicle, the current owner (i.e., the seller) must complete the fields shown on the back of the car title before you sign.
Be mindful about filling everything out. All boxes must be complete for the transfer to go through.
2. Complete The Bill Of Sale
At this stage, the seller must complete a bill of sale.
However, this isn't the case if the vehicle is over 35 years of age. No title is needed in this instance. Instead, a bill of sale is completed just to register it in the new owner's name.
Every county in Alabama has its own requirements for how to create a bill of sale. To make sure everything goes smoothly, check with your local county office beforehand.
3. Pay Fees At The County Office
Finally, you must send the signed title and bill of sale to your local county office.
As per Alabama law, you must pay $15 for the title application, plus a $15 title duplication charge and a processing fee of $1.50.
Depending on your county, you may have to pay additional fees. But, again, you should always check with your licensing office.
What If You're Inheriting A Vehicle?
The above steps apply if you are buying or selling a car from/to an alive individual. The situation is a tad different if you're inheriting a car from a loved one who passed away.
As long as the estate doesn't require probate, you fill in the back of the title yourself. In other words, you act as the seller and the buyer.
After that, you must fill out an Affidavit for the Assignment of a Title for a Vehicle From an Owner Whose Estate Doesn't Need Probate form, otherwise known as Form MVT 5-6.
Finally, you submit the Affidavit and the completed title to your local county's licensing office.
How To Get Vehicle Title Cash In Alabama
As we mentioned, your vehicle title must be in your name to get a title pawn from us at Alabama Title Loans, Inc.
Thankfully, it's easy to get your hands on a title pawn following your successful transfer. All you need to do is complete the six easy steps below:
- Complete our quick online form. Remember to choose title pawns when doing so because we also offer payday loans. It sends your information directly to your local branch.
- Pick up the phone when one of our loan associates from your nearest location gives you a call. They'll tell you about the process, ensure you have the required items, and answer your question. On top of that, you can choose whether to meet the agent at your local Alabama Title Loans, Inc. store or a more convenient location.
- Wherever you decide to meet, make sure you bring your state-issued photo identification card, vehicle, and your lien-free vehicle title in your name.
- Sit with our loan associate, who will examine everything to determine whether you qualify for approval.
- If you do gain vehicle title cash approval, complete the paperwork. It's very simple; the loan representative will show you which boxes to sign.
- Finally, you receive the money you need on the same or the very next bank business day.
Completed The Steps To Transfer A Vehicle Title In Alabama? Submit Your Vehicle Title Cash Inquiry Now!
Once you have successfully submitted the new title and bill of sale to your local county office, you can access a title pawn from us to cover emergencies. Kickstart the process by completing our straightforward online request form now.
Note: The content provided in this article is only for informational purposes, and you should contact your financial advisor about your specific financial situation.